CHAS – The Health and Safety Assessment SchemePrinciples and Purpose
Each month thousands of contractors and consultants (suppliers) apply for work with public and private sector organisations (buyers). To win work, they must meet the buyer’s health and safety standards.
Assessing supplier’s health and safety competence is usually a lengthy and time consuming process. Suppliers can sometimes meet one buyer’s Health and Safety standards but not another. Being CHAS approved reduces duplication as suppliers compliance is accepted by all CHAS buyers.
CHAS assesses applicants:
1. Health and safety policy statement;
2. Their organisation for health and safety;
3. Their specific health and safety arrangements to a standard acceptable to our buyers and to others.
Participating in the CHAS scheme helps both suppliers and buyers.
1. Suppliers show compliance with important parts of health and safety law (the core criteria described in the CDM regulations).
2. On achieving compliance a supplier is approved to work for all of CHAS' buyers.(Some Buyers may require "Accredited" Status)
3. Inconsistencies are reduced where some suppliers may be judged compliant by one buyer but not another.
4. CHAS gives guidance on any weaknesses in a supplier's safety management, including how they can improve.
5. Being a CHAS supplier or buyer saves both time and resources